There’s nothing worse during the summer season than getting ready for your day only to have your make-up slip off as soon as you walk out the door. Well I have complied a step-by-step process (with product recommendations!!) to achieve a long-lasting and fresh make-up look that won’t budge in the heat and humidity.
Before you even think about putting on any make-up, it’s super important that you ensure you prep your skin so it’s protected and ready for make-up application. Rather than having a separate moisturizer and sunscreen, try and find a product that does both. Most people avoid using sunscreen because it can feel quite greasy and sticky but you need to find the right formulation that has a high SPF but also hydrating to the skin.
- Moisturiser/Sunscreen: Cetaphil DermaControl oil-free Facial Moisturising Lotion SPF 30, Cetaphil UVA UVB Defence SPF 50+, Natio Daily Defence Facial Moisturiser SPF 50+, La Rosche Posay Uvidea XL Melt-In Cream SPF 50, 3Lab Perfect Sunscreen SPF 55
Primer isn’t for everyone but for those of you who find your make-up breaking down much sooner than usual then maybe primer isn’t such a bad idea. Primer is applied after your moisturising sunscreen to smooth out the skin, minimize the appearance of pores and also increases the longevity of your makeup. Be careful though! Some primers may contain ingredients that might break you out so try and get yourself a sample of some of the primers you’ve been eyeing on before you make your purchase.
- Primer: Bourjois Happy Light Matt Serum Primer, Revlon Photoready Perfecting Primer, Mecca Cosmetica Soft Focus Smoothing Primer, Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, Benefit Porefessional.
Foundation can be tricky. There’s so many types and finishes for you to choose from, but for the summer something with a satin-y or matte finish could work best. Foundations with a dewy finish don’t last as well and get oily and greasy much quicker than ones with a matte finish. So find a formula that’s long-wearing and controls oil. Again, take advantage of samples so you can try out different foundations and formulations and see which ones work best for you. Don’t be afraid to splurge a little bit more on your complexion products.
You only have one skin so look after it with the best products! It’s summer so work in lighter layers and work your way to more coverage if you need it.
- Foundation: Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation SPF 30, Revlon Colorstay Foundation, Estee Lauder Double Wear Light, Hourglass Immaculate Liquid to Powder Foundation, Innisfree Longwear Cushion SPF 50 PA +++
If you’re not really a foundation type of gal (or guy) and your skin is already perfect (lucky you!) then maybe you only need concealer to perfect little spots and small trouble areas like under-eye dark circles or little blemishes here and there. This way you even out your skin without covering it with foundation, still giving you a fresh and flawless complexion.
- Concealer: Maybelline Fit Me concealer, Estee Double Wear Stay-in-place concealer, Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer, Mac Studio Fix Concealer, Bobbi Brown Cream Concealer.
Set all of your hard work with some powder. Remember that the ball is in your court, so you can tailor this to however you like. You could even skip the foundation and concealer and go straight to powder. You can go for a translucent powder that won’t change the colour of your foundation or you can opt for a powder foundation that will leave you with feather-light coverage for an even complexion for these warm summer months.
- Powder: Rimmel Stay Matte, Mac Blot Powder, Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder, Bare Minerals Original Foundation SPF 15.
No look is complete without framing the face. Use wax-based pencils and waterproof brow gels to fill in the brows and set them in place.
- Brows: Nyx Eyebrow Pencil, Etude House Drawing Eyebrow Pencil, Anatasia Brow Wiz, Benefit Gimmie Brow, Australis Brow and Lash Extender.
Get your eye make-up game right and you won’t have to worry about your mascara and eyeliner smudging everywhere and you can enjoy your summer partying in peace. If you’re one with super oily eyelids, you need eyeshadow primer in your life. It’s going to keep the oil at bay and give something for your eyeshadow to adhere to.
- Eye Primer: Australis Eyeshadow Primer, Urban Decay Primer Potion.
For eyeshadow I recommend cream eyeshadows. They’re super easy to work and are long lasting. You might even be able to go without a primer because these bad boys can act as a primer for your powder shadows. But for an easy breezy eye look, cream shadows work wonders. You can easily go from a simple neutral look for the daytime and then add on some darker cream shadows for a smoky night look.
- Eyeshadow: Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencil, Maybelline Color Tattoo, Mac Paint Pot, By Terry Ombre Blackstar Cream Eyeshadow.
You’ve aced your base, the last thing you want is for your flawless complexion to be smudge with eyeliner. Waterproof Liquid eyeliners are wonderful for the summertime. You can create a precise cat-eye flick and it’s not going to disappear while you dance the night away. But you can still get that no-budge affect with the right pencil liner too!
- Eyeliner: Physicians Formula Liquid Eyeliner, Eyeko Skinny liquid liner, Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Pencil, Rimmel Scandal’Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner.
If you’re super simple when it comes to your make-up then feel free to skip all that eyeshadow and liner go straight to mascara. With a waterproof mascara focus the brush from the root of your lashes and work your way up. This way you can make your lashes look thicker as if you tight-lined your waterline while giving you long, voluptuous lashes!
- Mascara: Maybelline Illegal Length Waterproof Mascara, Maybelline Volum’ Express The Falsies Mascara, Benefit They’re Real, Urban Decay Cannonball Waterproof Mascara.
LIP N’ CHEEK
Time to add some colour to your look. Again, feel free to skip this if blush and bronzer don’t float your boat. But summer season calls for sunkissed and glowy skin.
Find a bronzer that that’s matte, it’ll photograph better unless you’re sure you want that highlight affect. By adding bronzer you can sculpt and contour and give yourself that “I’ve just come back from frolicking on the beach” kind of look. It looks better than it sounds, I promise.
- Bronzer and Highlight: Physician’s Formula Nude Wear Glowing Nude Bronzer, The Body Shop Honey Bronzer, Benefit High Beam, Benefit Hoola Bronzer, The Balm Mary-Loumanizer.
Nothing completes a fresh summer look without a lil’ colour on the lips. One of my favourite things to use for the summer are lip n’ check products so that you still get a nice flush to the cheeks and a pretty colour for the lips. Lip stains work really well during heat and humidity and they give you a really natural “no make-up make-up look”. They feel feather-light, buildable in opacity and their long-lasting nature require very minimal touch-ups!
- Lip N’ Cheek: Benefit Benetint, Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain, Bobbi Brown Pot Rouges, Nars The Multiple.
The aim summer-proofing your make-up is use products and techniques that will insure and prolong the wear of your make-up. Work in lighter layers to avoid a cakey complexion and heavy and over-application. You can also touch-up throughout the day to control the oil and sweat by using oil-blotting sheets or bring a compact powder with you so you can powder down when you’re getting little bit shiny.
Those are just a few tips and tricks on achieving a light weight, natural and summer-proof make-up look! If you have any helpful advice for our fellow readers on what you like to use during summer, let us know in the comments below!
ORIGINAL ARTICLE SOURCE: http://www.herinterests.com/the-key-to-summer-proof-make-up/